Driving Safely Through the Golden Years
As we get older we get wiser, and for some of us that wisdom brings along with it the realization that we just can’t do some things like we used to. When one of those things is driving, the key is realizing that you may need to take some extra precautions to ensure the safety of yourself and those around you on the road. You’ve always been a responsible driver, and with these helpful tips, you’ll never have to stop.
Smart Driving Recommendations for Seniors
- Avoid driving during rush hour. The traffic is usually heavy, and other drivers can be impatient.
- Avoid driving at night or in bad weather, especially if your vision is limited.
- Consider taking a safety driving course for seniors. These refresher classes will help you to brush up on your skills and meet some new people.
- Plan your route before leaving the driveway. Know exactly where you want to travel and how you need to get there. If you are unsure about your route, get exact directions.
- Keep yourself in good health by doing the following:
- Exercise your upper body to keep it flexible. This will help you look over your shoulder at your blind spot.
- Get regular vision checkups and have your lenses updated if you wear glasses and have a prescription change.
- Remember that certain medications or a combination of medications can cause drowsiness or fatigue. Talk with your doctor about potential side effects to medications you are taking, even those that are over-the-counter.
Plan ahead for when you can no longer drive yourself around. Talk with family and friends to learn more about alternative ways to travel, such as public transportation and ride service programs. Or establish a plan with your loved ones regarding how you will travel once you can no longer drive safely on your own.
To learn more about insuring elderly drivers please contact Zeiler Insurance Services, Inc. or visit: Zeiler Insurance Chicago Illinois: Elderly Drivers
If you have questions or concerns on this issue, do not hesitate to call Zeiler Insurance and speak to one of our customer service representatives. As an independent agency, Zeiler Insurance prides itself with quality customer service for the people of the Chicago-land area and the rest of the Midwest. Customer or not, we can review your insurance and see if you are being protected appropriately for the right price.